A collection of brain dumps which I feel the need to share with the world.

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Onion, cucumber and apple salad.

I was given the basic for this recipe years ago by a friend from India. Since then, I've experimented and added my own bits to it.

Basic recipe

2 Large Onions, peeled.
Lemon juice
Sea salt

Slice onions thinly, and lay the slices out on the bottom of a large flat dish. Drizzle the lemon juice over the slices until all of them have had a good soaking. Then sprinkle the sea salt over the slices, not too generously, but make sure all of the slices get a sprinkling. That's pretty much it. my friend used to then cover the dish with cling film and let it marinate in the fridge for a couple of hours, but I serve it straight away. It's great with Indian food, but also with any salad dish.

Variations

I have added cucumber or apple slices/chunks, or both, to the above recipe, and they taste great prepared in the same way. The version with apple tastes great with cheese and biscuits.

Enjoy!

(PS - I have a slight internal struggle about publishing this recipe: as a student of Nutritional Medicine, I wouldn't normally advise adding salt to anything, but as I always say 'moderation in all things' is the key. Just promise me you won't eat it every night!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home