A collection of brain dumps which I feel the need to share with the world.

Friday, June 02, 2006

Wax has waned.


I love London, and try to go at least a couple of times a year. I must admit, though, the bombings really shocked me - I had been walking my daughter around Tavistock and Russell Square only a couple of weeks before they happened. It all just seemed a little too close for comfort.
Still, not wanting to let these things rule our life, we decided to return, this time staying in Greenwich, an area we had not previously explored.
We managed to stay for five days without travelling by tube once! Instead, we used the
river transport, which was fantastic, and much more fun. I was amazed that it wasn't more popular with commuters and tourists, though I must admit it was the first time I had ever thought to use it.
You get to see all the sights, and can get to within a short distance of many of the major attractions.
View from London River Transport.

We also went to Madam Tussauds, which I would not recommend. I thought looking at dummies of famous people sounded a little dull, and only really went to get into the Planetarium. To our disappointment, and everyone else's, judging by the moaning going on in the queue, the Planetarium was closed.
Having already got the tickets using my Tesco clubcard vouchers, we went in anyway. The tickets are normally around 20 quid a throw, and had I paid this, I would have felt tempted to register my displeasure by chucking a large brick through the window.
It was dull, dull, dull!!!
It seemed to please the foreign tourists, who were behaving as though Robbie Williams really had turned up with a glint in his eye. They were all fighting to get their pictures taken with 'the stars'. I had to restrain myself from shouting 'They're just dummies, you dummies!!!!' Granted, some of them were very lifelike, (though some were crap, and some I just had no idea who they were) and I appreciate that it is very skilful to create these figures , but frankly, I just don't see the point of it all. They were about as exciting as a Top Shop window.




Ginger rubs shoulders with
the 'stars'.






Is this Ivana Trump, or
Joanna Lumley?


Brad, with a bad case of sunburn.



Is this just the ennui of advancing age talking? Am I just a cynical old bint, or does anyone else who has parted with a crisp twenty for this 'attraction' feel the same?Judging from the restless mob in the queue, the only stars most people had turned up to see were in The Pleiades...







2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's the promise of ridiculous queueing times that really puts me off - not that I'd be desperate to get to Madame T's were there not a long queue! It's one of the London 'attractions' that I've never taken my son to - though I think my dad took me when I was a little girl. I'd probably enjoy it if I was in there, but not too bothered about going!

3:03 AM

 
Blogger Majic said...

Actually, we didn't have to queue for long at all, giving me one less thing to moan about!
I suppose there is a limited appeal to the whole thing, but it just didn't do it for me!I also couldn't see the justification for the extortionate admission, though I believe it does go down during 'off peak' times. Still, I've been now, and I suppose it's as close as I'll ever get to Brad Pitt.....

5:10 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home