A collection of brain dumps which I feel the need to share with the world.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Living on light

I have successfully used nutrition to cure my own serious medical problems, and I know it
works, but to maintain my health, I need to cut a LOT of things out of my diet: wheat, sugar, dairy, soya, red meat, processed food, alcohol and some pulses. Don't get me wrong, I love healthy food - I'm one of the few people who drool over tofu and broccoli, and alfalfa sprouts, quinoa, and I think seaweed salad is yummy. (honest).
My six year old has yet to be convinced, however, and prefers sausages and fish fingers.

I don't like having to cook lots of different meals, and manage to cook for my family while still avoiding all of my taboo foods, without my six year old picking up on how healthy her diet is (except for the time I gave her seaweed - she didn't like that, and was backed up by one of my friends who threatened to call social services if I gave it to her again!)

Still,it's easier than you might think, if a little taxing to think of new recipes, but sometimes, oh how I long for a straightforward bacon sandwich on white bread with ketchup.

Or clotted cream ice cream with caramel sauce and nuts, or banoffee pie, or, chocolate brownies, or a hazelnut latte, or, well you get the idea that I sometimes fall off the wagon spectacularly.

I was particularly interested, therefore, to hear about a bunch of people who don't eat anything at all, called Breatharians. ( I like 'Freshairians better!).
(http://www.angelfire.com/stars3/breathe_light/breatharianism.html)
Well, I have read in the Celestine Prophecy that very evolved souls could begin to absorb energy from around them, negating the need to actually eat, and this seemed to be the same sort of thing. I understand the concept, but this bunch seem a bit dodgy. One of them, a certain Wiley Brooks, is currently running a course for billionares only. Well, that should keep the riff raff out. http://www.breatharian.com/WileyBrooks-altinate.htm

Given my chosen course of study, I am naturally a little sceptical about the validity of this claim, especially as the body posesses a highly evolved digestive system. I am open minded, however,as I think we are all programmed to eat far too much. It's big business at the end of the day - the profit margin on food is higher than pretty much anything else.

Also, if everyone were to live on light, I'd be out of a job!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I'm glad I'm nowhere near 'spiritual' enough to eat nothing!! I have enough trouble sticking to a gluten-free diet -well, not that much trouble actually seeing as the effects are rather quick with me ;) - but I certainly love my food!

Hope you're feeling well on that limited diet of yours?

9:55 AM

 
Blogger Majic said...

Well, the diet is designed to get me well, and I must admit, I feel pretty good considering my 'ailments'.
I still manage to eat loads, but most (not all!) of it is healthy stuff. Once you get to know the alternatives, there are still lots of things left to eat!
I've decided to post the odd 'nutritional nugget' of information as I discover them, to help others who are struggling to eat a healthy diet in this mass-produced, pre-packaged world we live in.
Watch this space!

11:16 AM

 
Blogger Jag said...

Thx for the "thai" rice 4,4,12 method - I plan to try that out shortly - will let you know how it goes. Like Chelley - I'm not so sure I could endure an "eat nothing" diet - but it does remind me that that's exactly what i do on occasions; far too many "no lunch" days recently ...

11:54 AM

 
Blogger Majic said...

Tut tut! No lunch - very bad for the blood sugar. Keep nibbling, folks it's the way forward.

1:09 PM

 
Blogger RenaSherwood said...

One of this lot tried to live on light while on a camping trip and died. It's on the Darwin Awards site somewhere and in the first book.

And now that I live in America there is no such thing as a proper bacon butty. However, there are darn good veggie burgers which has taken the edge off. Best of luck to you!

Come to think of it, I haven't had luch yet...

10:55 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home