A collection of brain dumps which I feel the need to share with the world.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Nutritional nuggets

Thought I might periodically share some nuggets of useful dietary info with you, as I discover them on my course.
As you know by now, I have excluded quite a few things from diet, and sugar is one of them. Sugar is bad, bad, bad! Just don't eat it!
The WHO (World Health Organisation) guidelines for RDA (recommended daily amount) of refined sugar is....zero. We just don't need to add it to our diet, as we obtain our energy from so many other sources.
Unfortunately, most of us have a sweet tooth, and there is an alternative! It's called Xylitol, and you may also have heard of it as Sorbitol. It has none of the negative effects on blood sugar and teeth that normal sugar does, and you need to eat far less, as it is very sweet. This link will take you a site that tells you all about its positive benefits, http://www.xlear.com/xylitol/ but the great thing about it is that it's perfectly natural.
Even better, you can now buy it in Tescos! As with everything remotely healthy, it is quite expensive (around £2,75 for 225g -eek!). The good news is that as you cut down on sugar, you will need to eat less and less, and 225g will last you ages. I bake my legendary breakfast muffins with it, and it tastes great.
Try it and let me know what you think.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, smart new blogface! (Not that I didn't like the old blogface!). And haha - I see the 'sugar' comments have all gone - which means you're letting me keep my two sugars in tea??

2:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS... I feel very privileged to be in your 'best blogs' list - thanks (never said before) :)

2:24 PM

 
Blogger Majic said...

Yes, I've redecorated! Don't know what happened to your other 'sugar' comments during the 'refurbishment', but yes, you can keep your sweet tea! It's so miserable having to cut out all gluten, I couldn't deny you anything else! (But, y'know, maybe just cut down to the one...)

3:11 PM

 
Blogger Jag said...

Ditto - yes, what a privilege. Thanks! Nice makeover too.

8:22 AM

 
Blogger RenaSherwood said...

Just a quick note for any canine-owned: Xylitol is poisonous to dogs. Not that they're suppossed to be getting into gum, candy and cake frosting, but dogs will be dogs.

I remember Tescos! "Every Little Helps" right? We didn't have one in Bath, but I think a mini-Tescos opened right before I left. Ahh, the nostalgia is washing over me in waes. Must go get a cuppa.

9:27 AM

 
Blogger Majic said...

Yes - don't give your pooches xylitol!!
Very bad news - sorry, I did know this, but didn't think about them eating cakes and stuff made with it.

Didn't know you lived in Bath when you were here. Isn't it just the most gorgeous place? One of my favourites.

Yes, Tescos keep getting bigger and bigger. Shouldn't encourage them really - I do try and buy from organic box schemes, and local suppliers, but these supermarkets are just so dang convenient! (Did get a huge stone in my spuds in my last organic box, too, which was not too appealing!)
I always found it difficult to buy organic stuff in the US - is it any better these days?

6:13 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just reading the very beginning of your blog (we started blogging around the same time - not that that has anything to do with anything!) and wondered if you ever found out who killed Laura Palmer?? (I watched it in the 80's and found it totally freaky!!)

2:49 AM

 
Blogger Majic said...

No - I'm still diligently waiting for them to release the second series. Paramount own the rights, and for some bizarre reason, refuse to bring out the second series on DVD, despite a huge online petition, which you must sign!
(http://www.petitiononline.com/tpdvdnow/petition.html)

I was also watching 'Invasion' on Sky earlier this year, and just found out that they canned it, so no second series. Just like that. Now we'll never find out whether the aliens take over the world! There is a petition for this too, but nope, we'll just have to imagine the rest, apparently.
How can they mess with our heads like this!!!

1:08 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's like an exciting drum-roll build-up coming here to see if the next post has arrived... ooh the suspense! :)
(How's the studying going by the way?)

12:21 AM

 
Blogger Majic said...

Aw, so nice to know you keep looking - thanks. Sorry I haven't visited anyone else's blogs for a while, either. I've just been flat out with half term, then trying to catch up on study after half term, then daughter's birthday, Hallowe'en, Guy Fawkes - my this is a busy time of year, and then it will be Christmas!
There is, however, a new post under construction, but haven't finished it yet. Watch this space...

2:52 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home